Youthful spectacle


After staying home for a long time I wanted to go out for some fresh air. Alas! I heard about Nadagam ( drama ) being conducted by Janasamskriti team. The plays are conducted in Malayalam by children as a competition along with the portrayal of the culture and traditions that would not be known by the younger generation.

It was a sudden plan decided without much thought involved. I went along with a chechi along with her children. One of them was performing in the play so I was excited to watch him on stage. We started from home by car and since it was Sunday afternoon the roads were clear in most of the places. We occasionally chatted on different topics and listening to the music vibing during the ride. The weather was hot and humid but a nice day for a trip. It was a refreshing ride after a long time.

We reached during the interval time when people who came in the morning were having lunch. Inside the auditorium I noticed some familiar faces and a majority of strangers. Everyone was busy either gathering the young actors or leaving after their child's performance.  We waited for quite some time unaware of what to expect. While I sat there I recalled the last time I watched a play would be at college.

Finally the curtain life with a bell and the play started reminding the traditional procedure beginning I drama which I have only seen at movies. I liked two plays a lot maybe because I understood the play and I was immersed the whole time. One play had children dressed up as clowns trying to escape from the lions chasing them. They tried to bring out humour and it was entertaining with the way they used up the whole stage. 

The second play was a much more serious presentation of how humans change the environment for their living causing a shift in the entire ecosystem. This play was musical with the vocals singing the songs redefining the condition of the past and how it is in the present.  Apart from the performance I liked their backstage work a lot that included all the props. The efforts they took to make the background give the ambience of a village made it much more realistic.

It was wonderful to watch children performing their talents confidently on a platform. I had a great day with an innovative weekend different from my regular routine.




Comments

Popular Posts