Days at the Morisaki Bookshop




Today as I sat down reading a novel, I was able to relate very deeply. The incidents may differ but the process were quite relatable. "Days at the Morisaki Bookshop" by Satoshi Yagisawa is my latest read. As the title suggest the entire novel revolves around a second hand bookshop. The protagonist Takako, a person who was forced to quit her current life somehow ends up in her uncle's bookshop.

I found myself in a very similar situation as the protagonist, she discovers herself through reading. She did not read initially but to move her days quicker she started reading which became her second nature. The words used to describe her feelings while she read was very beautiful. " I really was like a butterfly waiting patiently to come out of his chrysalis." It was beautifully described the way she felt herself immersed in the books. 

The description of the place also seem so beautiful where I would like to spend my time. The whole street had both sides aligned with secondhand bookshops, every shop sold different types and genres of books without overlapping. There was also a cafe where people went to gossip or read. The book readers who visited the shop were interesting as they piled up more and read the same book multiple times, everytime giving a different understanding.

The protagonist being the highlight as she never read books to the extend of not sharing a space with books. She began with one book out of curiosity and boredom later led to several other books. It's always difficult to begin but half way through it becomes difficult to stop.

Another interesting detail was the conversation with a reader. Sharing ideas, details or understanding is much more fun than random talks. I thought back to my friend with whom I would sit for hours talking about the book I read. It was so fun where time passes quickly and does not have the thought of hours being wasted as it adds to the knowledge acquired . The author Satoshi Yagisawa also agrees where he says "My body felt strangely light, like my feet were floating above the ground". A long discussion of what was read is like a revision as well as lightness like a paper is felt when something is shared. 

" Days at the Morisaki Bookshop" is a beautiful book that can be read so easily and quickly. The light-hearted book without any heavy plot teaches us not to fall rather find an alternative to push ahead. It also teaches the value of relationships. It is a book that is very relaxing taking us to the same street filled with smiles while purchasing a book at a bookshop along with people sharing the same enthusiasm.

Comments

Popular Posts