One more chance as a singer


Today as I sat in Bishop Heber Chapel I was reminded about my first day in college which happens to be my visit to the chapel right after joining the college. When I came five years ago my senior akka took me around the college. It was a hot summer holiday when all the trees were almost dried and the whole college was empty apart from dry leaves and trees as a companion. 

When I entered the chapel I was taken to the choir audition almost waiting to be eliminated. Before that day I always made sure I was never audible to someone as I sang but that day unexpectedly I got selected and became the part of the alto singers. After one day of practice, I gave up as I was never able to understand music. I always felt listening to music while enjoying and singing are two different entities but later on, I learnt it was not necessary that way.

As I tried to quit two of my seniors also part of 'alto' convinced me to attend for one month before I made a final decision. And the most exciting part of the story is, choir became part of me that I would always cherish. 

Apart from the beautiful memories, the chapel has a beautiful infrastructure with a lamp hanging above, that is said to never stop burning from the day it was placed till today. The pipe organ in its small space gives a melodious ring soothing one's soul. A place that I enjoyed for its peace and the history that is being created every day with its services.

Today being my last Sunday in Chennai made me want to attend the service one last time. That place has my joys, fears and tears, not just mine but many more in the past as well as those coming in the future may have similar stories to tell but every story would be different with its unique touch.



Comments

Popular Posts