The feeling of loss


Today being a holiday is the best moment to rest and relax at home the entire day does not give any hint of the hot weather outside as it's pretty cool inside the house. Then there is lot of time to browse through the pending novels and completing the watch lists.

Today I would like to talk about the feeling of loss that we feel right after finishing a series or a book. As a reader, I often tend to get too involved in the story or the character. It is not the same for every other book, movie or series that we invest our time in. There are lots of pieces of literature, be it movies or series that we look forward for the end half-heartedly. But there are also some books or movies that make the viewers want and wait for the second part.

I can give few examples from my experience.

Few days back when I finished reading a book titled "Ladies Coupe" by Anita Nair I was not very happy about the ending because I was curious and wanted the story to continue but the story ended with an open ending. This ending ignites the curiosity within the reader wanting to fill the blanks that was drawn by the writer.

When I finished reading a book titled "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah I felt very emotional and empty. The novel ended but the impact I felt the novel had on me was very strong. I still go back to read the last chapter of the novel. The events in the novel may not be relatable but for a short while I transform in the particular character making me go through their same emotions.

So these can be pushed back to consider old emotions but today I completed watching a detective series which felt too short. The series is titled as "Good detective" that talks about how two detectives try to solve a case and catch the criminal. I took lot of time to complete the series but I still felt attached to the characters as the feeling of frustration when some evidences are fabricated or sad at a character being wrongly accused were too real to be false. 

Even though I  tried to be a passive viewer or a reader at some part of the story I get involved and empathise with the characters. I guess this feeling is inevitable.

Comments

Popular Posts