Thattukada (Tallu vandi kadai)

 Thattukada is an emotion among all the people that miss the homemade food. Every year when I go to Kerala I make sure to eat dosa and coconut chutney from one particular appapan's (elderly person who is called appapan) shop. The 'chaya' (tea) and 'kadi' (a term given for snacks, particularly in Trivandrum) are an evening routine among the elderly where they gather and have a lengthy discussion. How can I forget the porotta and chicken curry which is one must dish that I never miss during my trip to Kerala?

Similarly,  here we have one Thattukada that feels like home, not only the food but the food providers too. Whenever we miss a few days' visits to the shop they check on us which makes us feel comforted at the moment preventing homesickness.  

The small blue shop sells dosa, idli, parotta and chapati with lots of side dishes along with them. At one time it was a routine for me and my friend to visit the shop every day for dinner after a long walk. As the evening gets darker the crowds increase and it would majorly be dominated by college students.

That thattukada would be one good place that I would miss after returning home.

Comments

Popular Posts